Monday, June 11, 2012

First Weekend and First Day of Camp

Hey everyone! Its getting late here (ok so its like 10pm, but after camp today it feels like it's 3am) so this post may not be as detailed.  If I forget anything funny or really great, then I will post it in a comment later. 


So this last weekend was our first weekend here on the island and it was full of great fun.  On Saturday we woke up and went snorkeling with Miss Ali around 1pm.  We got on the boat for free which was great because we are on tight budget here.  Once we boarded we got all our gear and found a seat in the sun.  It was about a twenty minute ride out to the reef and once we anchored, we all hopped off into the ocean. Immediately Robyn saw there were tons of little clear jelly fish all over.  At first it was a little scary because I was afraid of getting stung, but they actually didn't sting us which was awesome.  After swimming through the schools of fish and trying to play with the jelly fish, we got out and laid on the front of the boat to work on our tans.  Soon after getting back on, we left the reef and headed back to shore.  I hadn't gone snorkeling since I was about 10 in Hawaii, so I was exhausted and pretty much called it a night.  We were feeling pretty lazy and just watched Holes and Finding Nemo on ABC Family.  



Sunday was a bit more eventful.  First, the day started out wonderfully because we all slept in until about 10:30.  Once we got up, Robyn and I watched the fourth episode of The Bachelorette so we would be all caught up for the week.  We took showers and applied our sunscreen before calling a cab to head over to Pigeon Key.  Pigeon Key is one of the keys here that is about 5 acres around.  It's super tiny and served as the home for the men who built the railroad track connecting all of the Keys in 1912.  Before boarding the boat we bought lots of postcards to send off to all our friends and families.  (So look out in the mail in the next few weeks).  It was a cool little island; after the tour of the key, we went up to the road that is now covering the tracks.  It is a very small 2 lane road that served as the main road up until the 80's when the new road was built.  


When we finished taking pictures on the bridge, we headed back down to the water to cool off.  We stayed floating in the warm water until the boat came back to pick us up.  

After getting off the boat and were back on Marathon, we walked about a block over to a super cool restaurant called, Sunset Grille and Raw Bar.  This restaurant is a full service restaurant as well as 2 bars and a heated pool outside. On Sundays, it is the pool party and there is a DJ playing from 1-6.  It was really neat to sit by the pool, enjoy our burgers, and then hop into the water.  Once we had enough, we came back home, showered up and reviewed for camp this week once more.  All of our questions were answered and we sang and danced until we couldn't anymore.  :)  After finishing up with our meeting, I packed my lunch for Camp and hit the hay.  I was exhausted and fell asleep pretty quickly. 


In June of 2011, I learned about Camp Adventure and immediately fell in love with the concept of summer camp, so today was the most anticipated day of my life for this past year.  I woke up extremely excited to work with all of the kids.  We left for Camp around 7:30 and when we arrived at 7:45, we were already working.  Kids were showing up even before we got there so we had almost no time to set up.  Robyn met with the parents and had them sign in and then they came to me to make their name tag for the day.  Once they did that, they had free choice to play on the playground, play basketball, or stay with me and play board games.  It was great to see all the kids be excited to start and see friends they made last summer.  Once we got settled in and did blitz, we got into our small groups and met the group of kids we will be working more closely with.  I had the oldest group which is 12-13 year olds...and boy is it different than working with the little ones.  Even thought today was tough, I had a great day and got to have lots of laughs.  I knew the first day was going to be rough especially because this is my first year of camp.  Tomorrow I have my game plan ready and lots of back up activities to keep my kids out of trouble and still having fun.  Unfortunately, I can't post pictures of the kids, so you probably won't get to see any of my kids until I get home.  Because work was such a tough day, when we got home we sat around and laughed about all the silly things the kids said and did.  Then we made some carb filled dinners and watched The Bachelorette.  It was a great way to end the evening, and I am so thankful to have such a fantastic group of girls with me this summer.  

Alright everyone. I am off to bed! Hope everyone has a glorious day! 
-Live. Love. Laugh. Janise



No comments:

Post a Comment